Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Forex Trading And Scams

Because Forex Trading is relatively new in terms of the average investor being able to make money in the currency markets, there is a lot of speculation as to what kinds of returns are considered to be the status quo. In fact, if you look on any forum that deals with forex or yahoo answers, you will find the it will be peppered with questions such as "how much can I make with forex"..."can I make a living trading forex?"....."is forex trading good for beginners?". If you continue reading over a period of time, you will find even more ridiculous questions like "could I double my money in a month with forex trading?".....or...."I was at (insert scam website name here) and it says that I can expect a 4% per day return on my investment..is this possible?"

For those of you who are completely new to forex trading, I implore you...use some common sense...the old adage 'if it sounds too good to be true...' should be employed here. I know that many would love to think that making huge returns quickly is possible (these are mostly wishful thinkers or complete forex newbs), it simply isn't. And because forex trading is fairly new arena, you are going to find a lot of con artists that can't wait to separate your money from your ignorance.

Am I being too hard on these poor individuals? Probably...but the point I am making that most of the forex beginners aren't asking the right questions. They have the dollar signs in their eyes. Their vision is clouded and the money that they think they will make has already been spent before they have made it.

I think rather than asking "how much can you make trading forex?", the inquisitive should instead be asking "how much can you consistently make with forex trading?" And that is the key.

Five years ago, I was one of the ignorant that I am currently bashing. I got into forex trading after suffering some losses from a scam operation (based in the Asia) called PIPS "traded" away nearly $2,000 of my money. I learned of this company from a friend of a friend who actually flew to the country and met the owner (Bryan Marsden). He was convinced that what Bryan was doing was legit and actually had collected over 100k from his investment over the period of year.

Just to let you know exactly how stupid I was, I thought that Bryan was actually trading forex and consistently making 4% COMPOUNDED daily. I wasn't alone. There were nearly 100,000 of the "bungled and botched" out there hanging their hopes and dreams on the shoulders of this con artist.

And the sad thing was, the longer that the company existed, the stronger the belief that he was doing the trading was. And even after the supposed company was defunct and Bryan was gone, there were still hordes of people who believed that their ever growing account would eventually be theirs for the taking.

When PIPs disbanded, I started looking into trading. I didn't want to get hoodwinked again. At the time, I still believed that you could make a ton of money trading the currency markets. I still had visions of making a killing, quitting my day job and purchasing an island in the bahamas. Five years later and although I have made money (and lost money), I have learned that just like everything in life, nothing good comes from easy.

Currently, there are probably 2,000+ sites that claim to trade the forex markets. Some these supposed "forex traders" claim to be able to make as much as 100% ROI in one day. Most fall between 1%-4% a day though. And I am here to tell you, if you think that you can make 30% per month ROI consistantly, then you really need to check your head.

Well, I know that this rant is abit winded so without further ado, here are some realistic expectations that all of you forex trading beginners can look at:

  • Expect to have some good luck initially out of the gate with your DEMO forex account- Call it beginner's luck or the god's trying to play tricks on you but most beginner forex traders wind up having substantial gains that kind of lulls them into believing that they are ready for a real account. Trading with REAL money will do some crazy things to your mind, especially if you are on the losing end.
  • Expect to lose...initially- Best case scenario is that you don't drain your forex account within a couple months (what most will do) and actually learn from your mistakes. Worst case scenario is you lose really quickly and decide to throw in more money (can we say degenerate gambler?) to try to get back to even.
  • Expect to become partially bald from pulling out your hair- My first year of trading, I had a semi-permanent bald spot on the side of my head made primarily from me yanking it out whenever I couldn't cancel a trade quick enough.
  • Expect to become obsessed with new 'tricks', 'systems' and other con jobs out there- Over the years, I have tried a couple dozen guaranteed systems out there. The "system" I use now is what I consider the fundamentals of forex trading., such as dow theory and how it applies to forex trading, support and resistance bands in forex, how to use leverage when dealing with forex trades and understanding how risk and rewards work in forex trading
  • If you are forex day trading, expect to be glued to the screen for hours looking for good entry points- The notion that you will be loosening the chains of that J-O-B is replaced with the shankles next to your computer.
  • Expect months of great returns followed by streaks of no returns- This is for real...My second month of trading, I pulled in a whopping 20% ROI. I thought I hit the promised land (granted, my account was smallish). The next couple months after that, I gave it all back to the house and then some. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
  • If you are lucky, expect to make more than your average mutual fund in a year's time- Yeah, you heard me right. There is money to be made in the forex market. But just like the stock market, it is a zero sum game. Everytime you are a "winner", there is someone out there wondering what in the heck just happened ("loser).
That is pretty much it for today. I was planning on getting into how to spot a forex scam, but figure that you can figure that out on your own (I may revisit this later). The bottom line is that because forex trading is fairly new (to the regular investor), the idea of what you could make trading forex is saturated with presuppositions and myths. The only way for you to truly realize what you can make is to get a trading account for yourself and test it out yourself. I'm out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah..... thx for the tips. Actually I'm not trader. My boyfriends is. ^^ I think I should learn it too

Anonymous said...

Something to think about for the beginner who doesn't even know where to begin